Tuesday, May 4, 2010

We Come From the Land of Ice and Snow, From the Midnight Sun Where the Hot Springs Blow

Maddie had her Orchestra Spring Concert tonight. Sissy, my mom, and I got to see her get the Director's choice award. She looked great and they all sounded very good. She told us the teacher told them they could go barefooted. We thought that was crazy, but sure enough lots of the girls were barefooted under their long dresses. Nevertheless, I was glad she wore shoes.



I know lots of country music lyrics. I can usually name that tune in under 5 notes. Especially if its an oldie, but a goodie, from Earnest Tubb, George Strait, or Mickey Gilley. Going to those concerts I am always trying to figure out where I know those tunes from. I usually have lots of revelations about the origins of music in popular culture like 'You mean it's not called the Ballad of The Lone Ranger?'

Tonight they did lots of classical songs as usual, and they also had a Led Zeppelin medley. I'm not much on Rock and Roll lyrics and names to songs, but I have heard the tunes. I find it is better that I didn't know (or couldn't understand) the lyrics. I don't find them near as good as country lyrics. Its kinda like trying to remember the ending of this jingle: "Gimme a Break, Gimme a Break, Break me off a piece of that ...apple sauce...Fancy Feast...Chrysler Car...Grey Poupon"

No comments:

Post a Comment