Monday, January 11, 2010

It's Stitch Three Drop Four, Drop That Knittin' Out the Door

I like to listen to National Public Radio (NPR) on my way home to get the daily World news from a unbiased perspective. Many times they have the daily summary from the BBC, World (same as we heard in Germany) and have other financial summaries from their sources. Today on the way home they were talking about Afghans. I didn't really listen, but I was reminded of how we loved them.

Growing up Afghans were popular in our household. (As Paul Harvey would say, no known connection, but I did love to watch "I Dream of Jeannie" staring Barbara Eden and JR.) But back to Afghans. Yes, my Mom loved them and took good care of the ones we owned. Like in the old South, my Mom got most of our Afghans from her mother, Maw-Maw South, and others from her grandmother, Maw-Maw Flanary. I remember I had a very plain looking black and white one I got directly from my great-grandmother. Others Mom had were some of the prettiest Afghans you have ever seen. We probably had six or eight of them. They weren't real popular during the summer, but we usually had a need for them most of the rest of the year. When they weren't being used Mom kept them in the closet or under the bed. Some of her favorites were kept out year-round for decoration. During winter Mom got all the Afghans out to keep us warm. During the coldest part of winter she would let us sleep with them to stay warm, but they had to be on top of the covers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment