I could live in a world with only one flavor of ice cream, chocolate, plain old chocolate. However, when the Ice Cream Man came, I preferred Bananasicle. Mainly because that Fudgsicle with the ice crystals didn't taste as good as the Cabell's Ice Cream in the half gallon carton. (That was before BlueBell came to town.) Also, I think the Bananasicle also reminded me of the peanut butter and banana sandwiches Mom made me. She also made us peanut butter and honey, which was also tasty. We weren't much on peanut butter and jelly. 
The Ice Cream Man's archrival was the Snowcone Man. He drove a similar even more beat-up truck, but I never thought he was as popular, although he was cheaper. I liked to get mine in that paper Dixie cup and poke a hole in the bottom and suck out the ice cold syrup. Red (cherry, strawberry, or other sugar water) and Blue (coconut) were my favorites. I never thought much of Icees. The straw always got clogged. The Coke always tasted flat, also.
Another thing Mom would make, I think as a tribute to the Fifties, was a Coke float (Coke poured over vanilla ice cream). When people were grossed out by Laverne (from Laverne and Shirley) liking milk and Pepsi, I always supposed it probably tasted like a Coke float.


The Panic... HA! I have memories of the Ice Cream man... so he must've made his way to Parkway also! To this day... he (like it's the same guy as the one when you were little) comes around Pollard Park during the warmer months! :) Good memories!!
ReplyDelete