Sunday, October 18, 2009

Don't Know Much About History

Grandma came to see us this weekend. It was good to see her. We haven't seen her much since our trip to Germany this summer. She came to see G-man play Thursday. They have kept their winning streak alive. Its now at 7-0. Its hard to believe they only have two games left.

One of my favorite TV channels is the History Channel. This weekend they have been running several programs on the Kennedy assassination. They say people remember where they were and what they were doing that day in November 1963 when they heard about Kennedy getting shot. I distinctly remember where I was when I found out. I was in Mt. Pleasant with Maw-Maw South, I was 5 or 6. I asked my Grandmother who the man on the half dollar Paw-Paw gave me was. She went into a horrible tale of a president getting shot in Dallas. I couldn't believe it. Maw-Maw showed me information she had on the assassination in newspapers, the National Geographic and other publications. She then played me a speech he had made she had on a vinyl LP record she had. It was the first time I ever heard "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." Mom had left out the fact that president behind the space program had been killed in Dallas. 

When I lived in Dallas I worked downtown, not far from the Texas Schoolbook Depository and the triple underpass. More than once I walked down to Dealey Plaza at lunch with some co-workers and checked out the 6th Story Museum and the corner window. I've stood on the grassy knoll, behind the white picket fence. Both locations are much closer than they look on TV and either would be an fairly easy shot. At the time I lived in Dallas, I wasn't sure what I thought about conspiracy theories. Oliver Stone made up a few facts in his movie, and then I was really confused. I think after hearing yesterday the interview with Robert Oswald, Lee's brother, I'm sticking with the crazy lone gunman theory. Crazy gunman, not crazy theory. That's confusing. Kinda like Mom saying, "eat every kernel of corn and pea on your plate."


No comments:

Post a Comment