This week is homecoming at the High School. They had a pizza party/bonfire Wednesday night at one of the kid's houses.
Saturday night is the first "dance" of the year. Unlike some of his buddies, he actually asked a girl and has a date to the homecoming dance. It seems more acceptable these days for kids to go alone or in groups. Nowadays, there's no context for the old saying "dance with who brung ya." Nobody went "stag" when I was in school. The poor girls didn't get to go if no one asked them. Homecoming was the first dance I ever went to in High School, but unlike G-man I was a Junior, instead of a Freshman. And unlike G-man, my mother got me my first date. It was the daughter of one of her friends. She was a nice girl. I was a nerd. At that point it would have been fine with me if families got together and pre-arranged such things. Trade a few skunk hides and you're good, like in Lonesome Dove (the miniseries with Robert Duvall). I played football and by the time we got back to the school, showered and changed clothes, the night was almost over. We had our dance the same night as the game. I think it's good they are having theirs the next day so the football guys can spend more time holding up the walls while the others dance.

No comments:
Post a Comment