Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I've Got Sixteen Speakers Crossin' My Back Dash

My Maw-Maw South collected dolls. They had ceramic heads and she made dresses for them. Maddie has one from her collection. My sister had a favorite doll named Kent. It wasn't very cute, but she liked it. I think it had a boy name because you really can't mess up a boys haircut. You can always just go shorter. And he had a buzz cut before it was all said and done.

I was never much on "action figures" as they called boy dolls. Who were they kidding? Yes, I had a GI Joe. But about two weeks into getting him, he was a four-limb-amputee.  Shortly after that he had a tragic decapitation, and that was the end of Joe. I think that's why Mom preferred I made my own toys. I had Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, an Erector Set, and my favorite Legos. That way I could make anything I wanted and then tear them up and start over. And I did, over and over.

I was somewhat traumatized as a small child with the creepy Troll Doll my Aunt Jane had. It had green hair. That coupled with the Billy Goats Gruff fairy tale left me sleepless many nights. Another weird toy of the day was the Bobbin' Dog. My grandparents had it in the rear dash of their big Oldsmobile. And as they drove around its little head would move around in a lifelike manner. We could have never had one of those because my sister and I would frequently lay in the rear dash. Really. It was a little warm in the summer, but otherwise a comfortable location to travel. We lived on the edge. Could you image seeing that today? Someday our kids will remember when using a cell phone in the car was legal and be as appalled as we are now about not using seatbelts.

1 comment:

  1. So that is what happened you? The troll doll or as we called it..the dammit doll...so glad you recovered...thanks for the memories..you really are the best...Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete