My Aunt Jana was always up for some fun. She would take us places and do things that we ordinarily didn't get to do. One time she took us to Dallas to Chuck E. Cheese Pizza, there weren't very many in the country. Even back then, the big rat ran around and freaked out little kids just like today. My sister's and I each got a cartoon sketch. My sister thinks Mom threw hers away, but Kelli and I still have ours. It's funny how cartoonist can capture and exaggerate characteristics in people and animals like Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny.One year Aunt Jana gave us bunny rabbits for Easter. They were cute little cuddly fur balls when we got them. They lived to be large creepy obnoxious white creatures the size of beagles. At that point they had lost all of their pet qualities. (That's what Aunt Jane's vet said about her dog when she got old.) One day when I was going through the motions of feeding them, I scooped up a cup full of feed in a small styrofoam cup and set it in their cage. The next day my sister's rabbit was stiff as a board. It turns out, according to the vet, styrofoam (at least the styrofoam of those days) would kill a rabbit. I don't remember my sister being sad about the death of her rabbit. A few weeks later we took my rabbit down to the zoo and turned him over to the professionals to take care of. We envisioned it being set loose in the petting zoo area. Knowing what I know now, he may have wound up as tiger food. I do like most animals, but there are two animals I will not own as pets based on experience: one is a rabbit, the other is a duck.

What about a rooster? Y.
ReplyDelete