Saturday, November 7, 2009

She Makes Her Underwear From Hides of Grizzly Bear

When the kids were in elementary school every morning we would listen to Paul Harvey on the way to school/work. We would gage how we were doing on time by how far we got before he came on. Our favorite benchmark was a firestation along the way. The kids liked to say we're gonna "beat the firestation." I really miss Paul Harvey in the mornings, at mid-day, and the Rest of the Story after work. I still think about him saying "self government won't work without self discipline" and  "Us, U. S." We liked to hear him say "Hello Americans, It's Friday."

I even liked the commercials he did for his sponsors. I told the kids I thought he should say,"Citri-Cal, Cit as in citrus and cow as in moo" (instead of Cal as in calcium). When Maddie saw a picture of him, she would always say, he sounds like he has a beard. I agree, he didn't look like he sounded to me either.

Now I have XM Radio and like to listen to old time Country and Western music on the way to school/work. I relate to many of the lyrics. The kids are usually ok with it when I take them to school. Mostly because they aren't fully awake. The other day when we pulled into school, one of my favorites by Hank Thompson, "Squaws Along the Yukon" was playing. About the time I let them out he started the chorus "Ooga Ooga Mooska" and they had to draw the line. They made me turn it down before they opened the door and let them out. They said it would embarrass them. I may get them both a Vermont Teddy Bear for Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I miss Paul Harvey too. His show reminded me of my grandparents for some reason. Y.

    ReplyDelete