We traveled to Mt. Pleasant yesterday to celebrate the 4th of July with my family. My Mom, Dad, Grandmother, Sister and her family were there. Dad fixed ribs, Mom prepared vegetables out of their garden and corn bread, Ma-Ma fixed her famous rolls and a cake, and Karen fixed homemade ice cream. It was all very good. We ate so much at lunch we didn't even bother with dinner. We ended the evening with G-man and Uncle John putting on a fireworks display.

In the heat of the afternoon I went to Ma-Ma's house and tried out my new scanner. I scanned in a few photos she had. I liked this one of my grand dad best of all. I'm still learning on the scanner, and each time I figure out something new.

Tonight my other sister came over with her family and we continued the Independence Day celebration. Randy and the kitties didn't care for the loud noises of the fireworks. Kelli brought my favorite seasonal Blue Bell Ice cream flavor, homemade peach. She also brought a new flavor called Groom's cake. It was chocolate with cake and strawberries mixed in.

When I was a kid, we were usually in MP on the 4th. It was there I learned to throw firecrackers before they blew your hand off. Black Cats were my favorite brand and type, however, now days I know what my mother hated about them: they are loud, with teenage boys they are dangerous/obnoxious, and they scare dogs and babies. We also had bottle rockets in those days. I'm glad they aren't around anymore. They took the firecracker to a new height of danger, since they would fly off before they exploded. For this reason fires would break out in pastures in the hot dry summer. Another reason its good they are gone. There was also a certain type of "whistling chaser" that would get after the unsuspecting on-looker. This firecracker always made the ladies in the crowd uncomfortable.
I took this photo in the backyard tonight.
i'll never forget seeing Judy and Billie running from the chasers on the 4th of july before Karen and Andrea where born.
ReplyDeletesusan
I remember that also. Karen was born the next week. Mom
ReplyDelete