Back in the seventies one of our favorite things was Big Time Wrestling on KTVT Channel 11 in Dallas. It came live (or it seemed that way) from the Sportatorium in Dallas, with ringside announcer Bill Mercer. We watched "Moondog" Mane, "Soulman" Rocky Johnson, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, "Buzz" Sawyer, "Bruiser" Brody, and Andre "the Giant." There were moves like the piledriver, the sleeper hold, the side slam backbreaker, the figure-four leglock, and my favorite the Mongolian heart stomp. My sister and I were big von Eric fans. Their famous move was the "Iron Claw." I watched Fritz for years, right before Roller Derby came on on Saturday night. Usually we were at my parents friend's house where they were playing cards. We would drink Cokes and eat popcorn and watch wrestling on their "big" Zenith colored television set. My sister really didn't get interested until the von Eric boys, David, Kevin and Kerry came along. We even got autographed pictures when they came to town. That was back when rasslin' was real. I know because I was there in person and saw the chairs to the head and the blood. Real blood.
When I lived in Dallas I once was south of downtown at lunch and saw the Sportatorium. I was kind of disappointed. It was much smaller than I imagined. It was quite run-down when I saw it. My friend and co-worker at the electric company, Fred, used to call me "the Numerator." I always thought that would be a good wrestling name if I ever changed occupations.
When I lived in Dallas I once was south of downtown at lunch and saw the Sportatorium. I was kind of disappointed. It was much smaller than I imagined. It was quite run-down when I saw it. My friend and co-worker at the electric company, Fred, used to call me "the Numerator." I always thought that would be a good wrestling name if I ever changed occupations.
No comments:
Post a Comment