Sunday, July 19, 2009

You Better Get Back Honky Cat

The kids went to Grandma's this weekend. We are left here to tend to the animals. Sissy and I are both animal lovers and have been our whole lives. You can see from the contrasting pictures we have different approaches. Sissy notes that I have the same hairstyle and choice of clothes today and have my whole life. She has changed both of hers many times. Although she might prefer to wear Indian clothes today, they are not in style for ladies fashion. 

I have been going through a scapbook that my Grandmother South put together. She was quite an archivist. She had tons of newspaper clippings going back to the time when they married. I found a few small articles to include here today. Speaking of ladies fashion, the articles below were concerning their store Wayne's fabric. My main memory of going to the store was of the thousands of buttons that they had. There were all sorts that looked like gold, silver and jewels. It always reminded me of the treasure chests you would see in a pirate movie.


Today a 'boy' that my mom used to babysit when he was small and my Aunt Jane went to school with in Mt. Pleasant was at our church to present a flag and congratulate one of our ministers for 25 years of service. The 'boy' is now our US congressman after being a State Judge for many years. My family has always considered him our hometown hero. In this photo, the Congressman is speaking and mom is in the choir wearing a dark blouse on the second row between the ladies in turquoise and pink, forty-five degrees right of the speaker.



This article concerns the Congressman's sister. I thought it was funny. Mom said both of these kids were real characters and had a way with words.

3 comments:

  1. Another memory of that Congressman was that he told me when we were 16 years old that he knew how to pierce ears...well I was so wanting my ears pierced that I allowed he and Morris McKellar to pierce them one night after youth group..After the piercing Louie was really sweating and said he was so glad it was over because eventhough he knew how to pierce ears, he had never done it..Ha...I am the only person I know who's Congressman pierced their ears..I give him a good ribbing about it every once in a while...Love the articles..Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Grandma had a big jar of buttons and I used to think the same thing that it was treasure because of all the jewel buttons she had. Y.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, I'm glad he didn't give you a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete