There is some kind of large bird hanging out in the trees outside our house. It is constantly squawking. It about the size of an owl, but I haven't been able to get a good look at it yet. It doesn't sound like the owls I usually see and hear. It squawked all night long last night and I was awakened this morning before the sun came up by that same sound. I hope it leaves soon. I heard it again a few minutes ago as the sun went down.
The hay guy is supposed to start delivering tomorrow. The drought in Central Texas has prices starting to go up. But nothing like 2005, when there was no hay around here. I had to get hay out of Ft. Smith, Arkansas for $80/roll. I am getting a few of last year's rolls for $15/roll and the rest will be year's going for $35. The hay guy told me that he's starting to hear its going to $50/roll.
Its nice to have the round bales. They are easy to handle with a tractor. The only downside is storing them outside, but that only wastes a little on the outside due to weather. An old farmer I know told me to figure 4 round bales per cow for the winter to be safe. This ratio only applies to our area of the state. It varies depending on the severity of the winter and the amount of grass you have going into winter. But its always worked well for me. We usually have to feed hay from December until around March.
When I was a kid square bales where all they had. My grandfather would pack his barn full of these bales of hay. Then in the winter he'd have to regularly spread them out. I liked riding in the back of his truck as he drove around and I threw them out in 4" cakes. I doubt he put out pound for pound as much hay per cow, but round bales have quite a bit more waste.
They would always be hauling hay this time of year. You know the old saying "make hay while the sun shines." It has to be hot and dry so when they cut it it will dry and not be green or wet when they bale it. One summer I was in MP and my grandfather had his Chevy truck loaded to the gills. It was stacked really high. It must have been 10 foot high. I loved to climb when I was a kid. I climbed up on top and somehow fell off and landed flat on my back. I remember this because it was the first time I ever had the breath knocked out of me. If you've ever had your breath knocked out you know what I mean. I somehow doubt everyone has had this experience, but you think you are about to die. I don't remember that it ever slowed me down from climbing any and everything I could get my bare feet into.

O.K. I have no idea what song this is from. Y.
ReplyDelete