My mom has a book of old sayings at the cabin. Some I've never heard and think are made up to fill the pages. Things like "Ten toed Lizzy" and "Get your goat." This weekend my sisters were making fun of my mother for some of the things she said or says. Karen was giving her a hard time. A conversation from the past as it was told yesterday went something like this.
Mom: Boy Howdy (pronounced hi-dee), Laura Lee, that sure is a fancy paperweight.
Karen: Mom, her name is Lauren. And that's a Rubik's Cube.
I was thinking of other sayings recently. Conversations might have sounded like this:
Cave-in: Pa-Pa, we've been out here for two hours clearing this fence with machetes and axes, can we get a drink of water?
Pa-Pa N: Well, I'll declare. Has it been that long? We'll get a drink directly. (Directly is pronounced d'rekly, and it doesn't mean now as implied, it means about two hours)
Cave-in: Paw-Paw, we've been under this house digging trenches around these piers with a claw hammer for two hours, can we get a drink of water?
Paw-Paw S: Why, I'll say. We're taking too long. We'll get one when we get home tonight.

No, Paw Paw S. would have said "Well don't that beat all, you little green horn"
ReplyDeleteCute...Daddy had lots of sayings..that is for sure..I guess all of that happened in "broad daylight"..I think that is another one of Judy's sayings..Jane
ReplyDelete