Friday, September 11, 2009

My Huckleberry Friend, Moon River, and Me

Today, September 11th, is Almut's birthday. She is Sissy's Cousin Markus' wife. In addition to being a mom to three teenage children, she's a medical doctor, a scholar, and an equestrian. She was our hostess, surrogate mom and general caretaker on our recent trip to Germany.  

Her research and practice in the medical field includes work with childhood obesity. When I think of Germans in general, I don't think of them having the problems we have with childhood obesity. I didn't see it when I was there like I do here. She works with families in Germany from all walks of life. Some of her stories are heartbreaking and others are real success stories.

A few years ago when they came to visit us in Texas she mentioned to me that her birthday was 9-11. Ever since that time when this date comes around and its in the news I have chosen to remember 9-11 as a good thing. I think she's a swell gal. Happy Birthday Almut.




2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Almut. Hope you see this! Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank your for your sweet and nice birthday whishes I feel very hounoured by them (is this expression correct?). I had a very nice day with good friends and family and perfect cake made by Markus and my mom and a nice party & good Italian food in the evening!
    We love to read your blog and we love to be hosts for you all again!!
    Almut

    ReplyDelete