Friday, June 26, 2009

I'm a Cowboy, On a Steel Horse I Ride

When I was a kid my two favorite TV cowboys were Steve McQueen as Josh Randall in Wanted: Dead or Alive; and Chuck Connors as Lucas McCain in the Rifleman. 

Today around 7:00 I was going to see G-man at a football camp. When I went outside I saw a sounder of about 20 hogs far off in the pasture. G-man and I have been mowing the big pasture in the evenings when it cools down and we're about half way finished. You can really see them well in the short grass rooting up the pasture. It makes me see red when I see them out there tearing up the pasture. Where we have been mowing it is very rough riding because of all of the damage these pigs do. 


So I got my hat on, grabbed my rifle, and got on my steel horse (4-wheeler) and went down to confront them. Maddie makes fun of me because I don't have a horse. She says "real" cowboys have a horse. I say real cowboys have cows. But that's another story.

They were right at the edge of the woods. I rode down to the bottom, dismounted and walked a hundred meters (Germany) to the creek behind a line of trees. When I got to where I could see where they were, they were gone. I crouched down and waited. I could hear them across the creek in the woods, they seemed to be coming my way. I sat quietly for some time, but I never saw them. They will mess up one day and I'm going to get one, to send a message to the others. Even if I am just a sod-buster.



No comments:

Post a Comment