Tuesday, June 9, 2009

You Ain't Never Caught a Rabbit

Its getting hot in Texas. Randy needed his summer trim, so we got him groomed today. He is always mad at me when I take him to the vet. He had a checkup and got his shots while he was there. He's 7 years old and weighs 78 pounds. He refused to ride in the bed of my truck coming home. I felt sorry for him, so I let him ride in the back seat. He was glad to be home. Maddie will have to get all of those slobber marks off the back window.


We had another calf yesterday. This cow (#31) is part Brahma and she's doesn't like me to get too close to her baby, so I'm not sure yet if its a bull or a heifer. I keep records on all of my cows and their babies. This cow has the best track record of all my cows for putting weight on her calves. Its not unusual for her calves to gain 3 pounds per day. Normally, I'm lucky to get 2 pounds per day on the Hereford/Angus cross. The Brahma-cross cattle/Angus cross do better in this heat. I usually sell them at 7 months. A few years ago I accidentally sold one of her calves at 5 months and it weighed over 500 pounds. (They weigh approximately 70 pounds when they are born.) I ear tag all the calves now at about 3 months so that won't happen again.


Also, today I found where the red hen is hiding out. She is staying under the cattle trailer out in the pasture. I guess she is "setting." That's what you call it when they sit on their eggs. But it won't do any good since we don't have a rooster. A lot of city folks think you have to have a rooster to get them to lay eggs, but its not true. The eggs are just not fertilized without a rooster. If you look closely below, you can see her red comb.


I hope to get a good picture of the twins soon. I took some last night but it was too dark to be a good picture. I'm still having some trouble with uploading the photos due to the speed of my connection.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to tell Mom or Kelli to bring Emma out to see the "twins". She is staying with them and she is an animal freak!! We went to look at the flying squirrels at the cabin today and as Mama was telling us that it would not come out because they are nocturnal it flew out at her!! I'll bet you've never seen Mama Newman run! It was hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete