Our favorite mode of transportation while we have been in Berlin is the S-Bahn. The TRAINS are very reliable. They are on time and with a map can get you within walking distance to anywhere in the city.
One noticeable absence in Berlin for me and the boys has been pickup trucks. They literally can not be found in Berlin. However, when we were in Potsdam I saw several TRUCKS. The one shown below is the first one I saw. It is a VW pickup with a camper. I got pictures of several others that day as I saw them.
One very interesting thing we saw when we toured the Wall area with Martin was a proposed museum built on the site of a famous Nazi PRISON in downtown Berlin. They had a nice set of exhibits describing the museum and the atrocities that occurred there. I hope the next time I'm here I can tour it.
We'll I'm posting this as we leave for the airport early Friday morning. I would like to thank all of the families involved in making this trip a great one we will remember.
NOW FOR THE SERIOUS PART:
I would like to give a special thanks to Tante Nana and Uncle Hansi who provided us a place to stay, transportation, many meals, and overall great hospitality. To Markus and Almut (and family) for opening their home to Maddie for sleeping (and the boys for everything else); the vast amount of time spent with us over the past two weeks, the companionship for us all, that made it a better experience for us as welcomed cousins, instead of "tourists." I can not accurately express my appreciation.
To the children: Justus is a great cousin. His trip to the US last summer and friendship with G-man and Blake, and continued correspondence with M & G, kept the desire for the cousins to reunite going. Luise (who I like to call "Germany's Next Top Model") really reached out to Maddie and made her stay comfortable in the home. She is a sweetheart, an equestrian, and a great cook. Lina seems like a twenty year old to me. You would not guess she is eleven. She graciously hosted Maddie at school and made us feel at home as well. We hope to see you all in the near future.
To all of the family that took time out of their busy schedules to entertain "the Americans:" Martin and Katrin; Nalan; Elga; and Andrea, thank you for your kindness and generosity.
A special thanks to my Mother-in-Law, Angela (Grandma). We couldn't have, and wouldn't have done the trip without you. You provided the "bridge" to the family in Germany, and were lots of fun to be with.
Blake was a pleasure to have along. He is very well behaved, and represents his family well. Thanks to Kerry and Judy for sharing him with our family for two weeks.
G-man and Maddie were very good companions and I did not hear them argue or fuss one time while we were over here. That's amazing for a brother and sister for two weeks (just ask my sister). I had a great time with you both.
Thanks to Sissy (Yvonne) for taking care of things at home and letting us go see YOUR family. You are coming with us next time!
I would like to thank all of you that read and followed us on the Blog. I wasn't sure how it would be doing a blog. Two people were instrumental in my doing a blog: the first was my sister, Kelli, who was the first blogger I knew, and the other was Becky, a co-worker, who convinced me I would able to do it, and to not worry about how it comes off.
The blog actually helped me to remember to take pictures and document what we did, so I would remember. I know we will be tired when we get home. I'm hopeful when moms/family asks, "what all did you do?" You will help them remember from the blog. Otherwise the answers are sure to be vague and elusive. Heck, I can't remember what all we did yesterday.
I would like to thank all that commented on the blog. For us who are here, that was exciting for us to read, too. Our host family was reading as well, and they were/are able to see your comments, and thus, it cut out the middle-man when you wanted to give a special message to each other.
And purely selfishly, it's fun to know that someone who cares is reading what you wrote, and seeing the pictures you took. I would image only Yvonne got all of the song references I like to use as topics/titles, but hopefully some of you "got it" also.
About the Blog: I'm not sure what will happen to the blog. Technically, I accomplished what I wanted to on the trip, and I'm satisfied. My Aunt Jana wants me to take her, my mom and their other sister, Jane, to Ireland next. I don't want to think about it right now, but it could be fun to plan for next year.
So... I will spend some time re-thinking what to do with "Cave-in."
I will have at least one more post when I'm back home to let everyone know we made it and have one more chance to publish any final comments.

It was a great pleasure to have you all here and we will seriously miss all (!) of you. It will be so calm and I hope I don´t get bored because I have nothing to do (just kidding!). In fact it will be much calmer here and every day life comes back to us. We want to see you again soon! We should not wait for 7 years again!
ReplyDeleteKevin: go on with this blog at least from time to time, it is so nice to read and look at the pictures - or you should deceide to become a writer and I can read your books!
Sis: We deceided to take our kids in a kind of exchange programme! Kevin said you don´t let your kids go for one year but maybe for 3 month, so we could arrange some private German lessons and would have a lot of fun and I will send you our kids one by one as well. Let´s have this in mind for the future, ok?
Judy and Kerri: I appreiciated your comments on the blog! It was a pleasure to have Blake with us and he is more than welcome to visit us again with or without Garrett -maybe you are curious to see Germany as well? I am looking forward to meeting you!
Time went by so fast and your stay with us left plenty of impressions and rememberances (hope these are the right words) - we will keep it as a treasure in our hearts and minds!
God bless you all! Almut
There are not enough words to express my appreciation to all the families for taking care of everyone. I missed being there. It was great to see the blog everyday. Please come see us in Tyler. Kevin- you should keep doing a blog. Love (Sis) (Yvonne)
ReplyDeleteKevin... thank you for taking the time to blog. I felt like I was on the trip with you. I understood all of the song references. Blake's grandmother printed all the pictures and put them in a binder so that when he gets home he can share his own exoeriences and thoughts with us.
ReplyDeleteTo Yvonne and all the family in Germany... thanks very much for sharing your family with Blake. I have not met the family in Germany in person but I feel very close to them because they were such gracious hosts to my son. I say again that these will be lifetime memories for him and that is priceless.
Blake's Dad (Kerry)
Thanks Kevin for a great adventure while I am sitting at home in Katy..You are such an amazing man to make such precious memories with your kids...they will ALWAYS remember this..I will look forward to your blogging..It is such a great way for those of us who do not get to see you and yours to stay in touch..You need to continue this for school activities and farm stuff...Looking forward to seeing you at the Lake later...Lots of love ...Aunt Jane
ReplyDeleteI loved "going along" on the vacation with y'all. Seems like y'all had lots of fun! Keep the blog going, I think I could come up with some topics for you!!
ReplyDeleteIt's Saturday morning and we are so glad everyone returned home safe. I wouldn't trade missing Blake for 2 weeks for the awesome experience he was able to have. I thought he would be so tired that he wouldn't be able to share much at first. But he had great stories and tells how everyone made him feel at home. He feels like he is family. I am so thankful to you all for allowing him to share in this trip. We would love for your family to visit Texas some day and return some of the hospitality. God Bless you all! Judy (Blake's Mom)
ReplyDeleteWell done KDN! Larry and I have chatted about your travels and enjoyed the ride - it is a great way to live in the moment and capture it for others! BHC
ReplyDelete