Thursday, June 4, 2009

You Cain't Starve Us Out and You Cain't Make Us Run

Today we took the bus downtown with Almut for the last time to see the famous department store KaDeWe (pronounced Kay-Da-Vee). It is 7 floors high, with escalators up the middle.

It reminds me of the old Montgomery Wards with a Brookshires at the top, but I didn't see the shotguns, fishing poles, and power tools. It was much nicer than the Broadway Square Mall. The store has several restaurants and delis in it as well. I will say some display cases looked and smelled more like bait than food. 


We had lunch there. G-man and Maddie had lasagna, and Blake had spaghetti. Almut and I had two different kinds of shrimp cocktails. Blake finally found a place to take his gift card, just in time to buy a meal and some souvenirs.

Almut, Maddie and I left KaDeWe and did a little shopping nearby before taking the train back to Grunewald. Maddie got a Berlin purse and some ear rings.

This was the last time I saw the boys in this city of 3.4 million people. Justus and two friends showed up and they continued shopping after we left. 

UPDATE: the boys survived and are now back at the apartment with me.

Almut is preparing one final meal together this evening with the family here at the apartment before we leave early in the morning. 

KaDeWE

1 comment:

  1. Look forward to seeing you all. Tell everyone hello and thank you. Love Mom (Y.)

    ReplyDelete