During the Cold War this is the bridge between East and West where each side would exchange spies that were captured.
The main attraction in Potsdam is the summer home of the King of Prussia, Frederick the Great, called Sanssouci. We spent all day in and around this famous place. I took lots of photos. But after today, the kids are done with antiquity.
After we saw the castle, we started on an approximate mile walk from the castle garden to the "New Palace." This is the long trail leading to the new castle. Our group was not moving very fast. The boys got way ahead out of sight. Tanta Nanna wanted to detour and take a look at a Chinese tea house. At this point we encountered a six legged intersection. (I have had to constantly remind the boys each day to take their piece of paper with contact information with them. And I was sure they didn't have it with them.) The crowd was fairly large, but spread out. I was starting to wonder if they had taken one of the other 4 legs of the intersection, and if so, how would we ever find them. I sent Maddie to run straight ahead and try and locate them.
NOTE TO SELF: I will never do this again without all participants having cell phones. Its too nerve racking to think of being separated from children in a foreign country. I don't think the kids have any idea of the names and addresses of the people we are staying with, other than Tanta Nanna and Hanzi, Markus and Almut. I could be underestimating their understanding in this matter, but it still scares me too much to ever do it again.
This is the view of the walkway between the castles.
When Maddie brought them back to us, I yelled at them and they told me that Tanta Elga had told them they could go ahead towards the new castle. I told them I was the only one who could tell them that and they had to stay within sight of me. They (G-man) didn't like it, but they complied. Hanzi told me not to get so angry. Tanta Nanna said grandchildren are easier than children.
When we arrived at the new castle, it was closed. Maddie was the only one who would pose for a picture. Now all we had to do was walk back a mile to the car. We stopped on the way back a the tea house.
Things improved when we had another great meal. Don't ask me what it all was called. Hanzi and I had pork, shown below. Hanzi was worried that Sissy would see he was drinking stilles wasser and be concerned there was something wrong with him.
Things have really improved now, because all the kids are swimming at Hanzi's and Tanta Nanna's house.
The most interesting story I heard was right when we pulled in and parked near the castle. I noticed a windmill nearby. Here is the first time I saw it.
![]() |
| Sanssouci |


Well I am glad you all made it back. I bet Garrett could have remembered some German. Glad Madison found them. It looked like a pretty day. I bet the kids do not want us to take pictures again for awhile (haha). I do love seeing the pictures. Good job Kevin. Love Mom (Y.)
ReplyDeleteyou are doing a great job!! We love all the pictures and tell the boys: don't try anymore "get aways!!"
ReplyDeleteJudy
And this is what happens when you stay on a vacation TOO long....everyone starts to get a little grouchy. Reminds me of the WAY too long (and last) family vacation we took to Orlando. I'll bet you went into "orbit" when you finally got them back!! Glad y'all are having fun!
ReplyDelete