Wednesday, May 27, 2009

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding

This morning we took a short walk to the bakery for breakfast. We picked up some pastries and I got a good cup of Kaffee. We thought we would be on our own going to the Krisgorbe, it is basically a borrow pit they have turned into a park. Its about one mile from the apartment. At around 10:00 AM Hanzi showed up at the apartment, and was saying something about jogging and needing to change his shoes. We ran into Nanna who was waiting in the hallway "for her doctor" (also her son) to examine her hand. I was not clear what happened to it, but her finger was swollen, so she was not able to cook lunch for us. 



Hanzi went with us to this place that has several places for kids to play. When we first got there, I thought that was as far as we were going. The kids went down the hill to where some kids were playing soccer, and they were about to get into the game, but Hanzi was waving to them to keep going so we did.


Hanzi is 79 years old. He told me he read where the American Indians would run 150 meters, and walk 50 meters alternating to stay in shape, so that's what he does. If I understood him correctly we went around 10 to 12 kilometers, this way. I was somewhat training for biking, but I didn't think I would be jogging. I did have my shoes so it wasn't too bad, but I am tired. I don't have soccer 3 times a week, and I didn't just finish football spring training, but I kept up ok.  He would every once in a while say, "we are ruttelnd (jogging)." I can only understand about every third word. He tries hard to communicate with us in English and I appreciate it very much. He is a great guy, and its through his generosity we are able to stay in the apartment and be taken care of as well as we are.

After going back to the apartment, we went home and changed, and met up with Hanzi again walked to a nearby school for the blind, where they are trained various trades. They have a restaurant there. It was very good. Hanzi and I had meat (beef) and potatoes. The kids had pasta with meat (thin sliced turkey or pork, I'm not sure) covered spinach. Maddie taught Blake her trick of eating the spinach mixed with everything else. They both all ate their lunch. It was followed by a mixture of vanilla and chocolate pudding.


We are getting ready to go downtown with Martin.

Running

1 comment:

  1. Well, I am glad you are getting your excercise! It looks like you went to a place I remember going too when I was little, the big sand mountain. We used to slide down it. Was this in the Gruenewald? Y.

    ReplyDelete