Monday, May 11, 2009

Thanks, Thanks A Lot

Maddie had her Orchestra concert this evening. They sounded really good. She plays the violin. This was her first year to play.  I'm still not sure how that is different than a fiddle. She has a real gift for music. She can play a song by ear. Any TV theme song she knows, she can play on the piano. Now she can do it on the violin. I can't believe how if I let her hear a Bob Wills tune, she can pick it up and play it back with only a few listens.

That reminds me of when I was in elementary school, the junior high band teacher came over to our school and gave a battery of tests to determine what instrument each student would be good at playing. About a month later, right when school was about to be out, he came back with the list for the next year. Johnny Bob was going to play the trombone, James Dean the trumpet, Laura the flute, Danny the drums, Robin the clarinet and me...they didn't have anything I could play!  He was very evasive about this. Finally, Mr. Matthews told me what it meant. I must be tone deaf, or at the very least, pretty well uncoordinated, but definitely not cut out for band. Whatever, I was over it pretty quickly. 

My kids have confirmed that the tests were correct. I always thought I sounded a lot like ET. That's Ernest Tubb, not the Extra-Terrestrial. 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment